Thursday 16 August 2012

That slightly awkward first post...


Hello. I'm the Road Snail. At various times within the year my wife and I abandon bricks and mortar and take off along the highways and byways of the United Kingdom with our caravan. To be clear, we are not, however, "caravanners" and we do not go "caravanning". I'm not even sure what "caravanning" is, but it seems to me that the point of "caravanning" would be to be in a caravan, and that's not what we're about at all. 

Don't get me wrong, I love our caravan. It's comfortable, well equipped and it allows us to go to places we would not otherwise get to, and to do it on our own terms. But the caravan is not the point, it's the means.

Anyway.

This blog is called "Road Snail", because we carry our home on our backs, and most definitely not because we are in any way slow. I know that if you watch a lot of Top Gear and listen to blokes in pubs, you may well be under the misapprehension that  caravans are in some way an obstruction on the roads. Well, I can't speak for everyone else - but that's certainly not been my experience. In fact my experience is rather more that I get stuck behind people in cars that I can't overtake - but that's a subject for another time.

The point of this blog is to give me somewhere to muse on the oddities of caravan based life, and to document the places we go on our travels.

 You are welcome to comment - especially if you have stories to tell of the places I write about. So, come with me and explore this island of ours...

1 comment:

  1. Oh.....you really DON'T want me to comment?! Do you?! Lol!

    Well written so far! Will add it to my Blog List!

    ReplyDelete